The grill element is usually positioned on the ceiling of the cooker. Just like most parts of the appliance – it should be cleaned frequently. Otherwise, it may result in unwanted smoke while cooking. This leads to poor food quality and a frustrating culinary experience.
If you’re dealing with unnecessary, nasty smoke in the oven and are wondering what’s causing it, then you may want to check the condition of the heating element in your appliance. This article will help you learn how to clean the grill element of your oven without damaging it, along with some useful tips on how to properly maintain it in the future.
Let’s dig in.
Before you clean, remember:
- Do not aggressively scrape the grill part. It could damage the surface and cause malfunction.
- Ensure that the detergents you use do not contain any flammable chemicals. Otherwise, this can lead to unexpected fire hazards.
- Turn on the grill element in an empty oven once you finish with the cleaning procedure. That is highly recommended to evaporate any excess moisture from your appliance.
With that in mind, there are two methods you can opt for when cleaning the grill of your oven:
How to easily clean the oven grill
- Turn the function on to around 80 C – 120 C (176 F – 248 F) for approximately 10 minutes until it glows red. Keep in mind that this will result in some smoke coming out of your oven.
- Make sure you have the extractor fan on and windows open. If it is possible, close any doors leading to other rooms so that the smell doesn’t go around the house.
- Unplug the oven and once it cools down, spray some detergent onto the grill element and gently clean it up using a damp cloth.
This method will definitely show results, as most of the accumulated fat will loosen up and become easier to clean. However, the grill part will be clean on the front side only, since the back is difficult to access. If you still feel like your oven grill element is not clean enough, you can repeat the procedure.
Can you remove the heating element of an electric oven to clean?
There is also the option to disassemble the part, soak it in detergent and re-install it. This, however, is not so simple to do and involves removing wires. If the oven grill element is not installed correctly after the cleaning, this could lead to the appliance’s malfunction, warranty issues and further complications.
How do I keep my oven from getting dirty?
Inevitably, when you cook – your oven is bound to get dirty. There are a couple of things you can consider in order to keep your cooker sparkling clean.
Cook at a lower temperature
Keep in mind that today’s modern ovens cook perfectly fine at approximately 180 C (356 F). If you like to go a little above – 200 C+ (392 F+), you can expect to get splashes of oil on every part of your oven. Especially the grill element. This results in accumulated grease.
When you cook afterwards, that grease burns and causes unpleasant smoke. With that in mind, do not fill pots and trays with too much liquid to prevent boiling over.
Clean it frequently
Wondering how often should you clean your oven? Well, a quick clean up after a few cooking sessions can go a long way. This is the best way to maintain the cooker’s freshness. Once a week would definitely help you keep your oven looking like a new one.
In the long run, when you are about to perform a full oven cleaning, it will be a lot easier to do if you have regularly taken care of it.
Why do you need to maintain a clean oven?
If you don’t clean the cooker regularly, the amount of grime and grease will increase with every cooking session. Later on, this may result in unexpected smoke, unpleasant cooking experience, malfunctioning or even fire hazards. If any of these happen, you may need to call a specialist in the electric or gas oven repairs.
With that said, you should definitely keep your oven clean and enjoy the benefits.
- Tastier meals
- Enjoyable culinary experience
- No risks of fires or malfunctioning
- Prolonged life of your cooker
- Better heat distribution and energy efficiency
Want to skip the hassle? Hire a professional oven cleaner online
If you live a busy life and are not really into oven cleaning, Fantastic Services has got you covered. Booking a professional oven cleaning technician online is fast and easy.
The expert will disassemble your cooker and clean every part separately, using specialised strong detergents. Afterwards, the specialist will put it back together and test run the oven – It can be used immediately after the procedure. All that in a matter of 2 to 4 hours.
Save up some of your precious time and indulge in activities you enjoy. Book a professional oven cleaning now!